Hertfordshire Gardens Trust
Registered Charity 1010093
For over 20 years the HGT has been actively involved in researching historic landscapes in Hertfordshire, protecting them for future generations to enjoy and, through our education work, encouraging children and schools to get involved with horticulture. We also run a popular programme of outings, lectures and fundraising events for members. Please read more of what we do on this website.
The Trust's new Constitution, adopted on July 16, 2013, is available as a downloadable file click here to download.
- 2016 - Hertfordshire Gardens Trust Celebrates "Capability" Brown's Tercentenary: CB300. Go to Events and Outings page for details.
- The Digswell Landscape: Change over Time. An HGT exhibition running through January and February. Go to Events and Outings page for details.
- The Capability Men - Lancelot Brown and his Associates. A Study Day on Saturday April 16th, 2016. Go to Events and Outings page for details and to download a booking form.
- Hertfordshire Landscape Parks - Ten walks devised to celebrate the Tercentenary of Lancelot Brown. Go to Events and Outings page to download information and maps.
- Ashridge Garden History Summer School on the work of Capability Brown. From 5th to 7th August, 2016. Go to Events and Outings page for weblink.
- Formation of the Gardens Trust - the merger of the Garden History Society (GHS) and the Association of Garden Trusts (AGT) took place on 24th July, 2015. The Gardens Trust website address is http://www.thegardenstrust.org/index.html
- 2015 Autumn Newsletter available for download. Go to Events and Outings page.
Researching into the county’s historic parks and gardens to build
comprehensive records for use at county and national level
Working with schools to develop and sustain their grounds for
enjoyment and as a resource for the curriculum
Working with English Heritage and the Garden History Society to
protect and preserve Hertfordshire's landscape heritage
Providing an annual programme of events, lectures and
visits for Gardens Trust members and their friends
From the President:
“Our new Chairman has not let the grass grow under her feet and under her leadership this has been another productive year for the Hertfordshire Gardens Trust.
There is plenty of activity in all departments which is impressive. The Hertfordshire Gardens Trust provides interesting opportunities for its members and I do encourage you to bring your friends along to see what is going on as there is something of interest for everyone. It would be an advantage to widen the circle of membership."